Policy 6-306: Academic Librarians
- Purpose and Scope
- Academic librarian ranks. The three ranks of academic librarians are: Librarian, Associate Librarian, Assistant Librarian.
- Appointments. Appointments of academic librarians are made by the president of the university, with the approval of the Board of Trustees, upon the recommendation of the cognizant library directors with the concurrence of the cognizant vice president. Such appointments may be made for either an indefinite period or a specific duration.
- Retention. Upon appointment to the academic librarian staff, an individual has probationary status until he/she achieves a continuing appointment or is terminated. A librarian is evaluated during this probationary period at least once a year for retention or termination. During the first year of probationary service a librarian may be terminated with three months' notice in accordance with University Regulations. Termination after the first year requires twelve months' advance notice.
- Promotions. Promotions in the academic librarian ranks constitute recognition of superior performance over extended periods of time.
- Continuing appointments. A continuing appointment is defined as a commitment to continuous employment to be terminated only by voluntary resignation, retirement or for adequate cause as specified in University Regulations and only after due process. The granting of a continuing appointment implies a commitment by the university to defend the academic freedom of the librarian. The librarian also makes a commitment to the university to serve the library, the university, the faculty and students, and the profession.
- Criteria for retention, promotion, and continuing appointments are set forth in the guide to appointments, retention, promotions, and continuing appointments of academic librarians.
- Review Procedures. These shall be carried out by the following library committees:
- Appointments Advisory Committee Retention Committee Promotion Advisory Committee Continuing Appointments
- Criteria for membership, voting Procedures and chairpersons for the above committees are set forth in the guides maintained by each library.
- Appeal of decisions to terminate academic librarians with continuing appointment, or to deny promotion or continued appointment. Such appeals shall be governed by the same Procedures as set forth in Policy 6-303, (reviews and appeals of RPT recommendations) and Policy 6-002 Section 10 (Consolidated Hearing Committee for Faculty Disputes).
- Resignations, removals, dismissals and grievances. These shall be governed by the Procedures set forth in 6-307 (Resignations, Removals Dismassals), and 6-308 (Grievances).
- Rules, Procedures, Guidelines, Forms and other related resources
- Other related resource materials
- Policy Owners:
- Questions about this Policy and any related Rules, Procedures and Guidelines should be directed to the Associate Vice President for Faculty and the Associate Vice President for Health Sciences.
Only the Sr. Vice President for Academic Affairs and the Sr. Vice
President for Health Sciences or their designees have the authority to grant exceptions
to this policy.
- Policy Owners:
- Approved: Academic Senate 2/03/03
- Approved: Institutional Council 2/10/03
- Editorially revised: October 13, 2008