Policy 5-300: Holidays
- To outline the University's policy with respect to Holidays for Employees and related pay practices and eligibility standards.
- This Policy is applicable for all categories of University Employees, and is intended to be implemented through associated University Regulations, including University Rules, which shall describe and govern specific aspects of the scope and manner of implementation separately for Employees of the University of Utah Hospitals and Clinics, and for all other University Employes.
- Subject to the eligibility, use, and limitation provisions in University Rule 5-200B (Paid Time Off for UUHC Staff Members), and Rule 5-300A (Scope, Eligibility, and Limitations for Holidays - University Employees [Other than UUHC Staff]), the University designates the following days as Holidays:
New Year's Day 1st day in January Martin Luther King Day 3rd Monday in January President's Day 3rd Monday in February Memorial Day Last Monday in May Independence Day 4th day in July Pioneer Day 24th day in July Labor Day 1st Monday in September Thanksgiving- 2 days 4th Thursday in November and the following Friday Christmas 25th day in December *Two Annual Personal Preference Holidays *Two individual-selected holidays for Employee's personal use during each calendar year, subject to Rule 5-200B (UUHC Staff Employees only), and Rule 5-300A (all other Employees).
- Days of Religious Observance
- The University recognizes the existence of various days of religious observance or obligation. To be consistent with the University policy of nondiscrimination and to provide flexibility for personal choice, the University will allow (1) staff Employees in Benefits-eligible Positions with University of Utah Hospitals and Clinics to use PTO, subject to the provisions of Rule 5-200B, and (2) all other Employees in Benefits-eligible Positions with the University to use two annual Personal Preference Holidays, subject to the provisions of Rule 5-300A. Supervisors are encouraged to make every effort to grant these requests consistent with business necessity.
- Pay practices for observance of University Holidays are subject to the eligibility and limitation provisions in University Rule 5-200B (UUHC Staff), and Rule 5-300A (all other University Employees).
- The University may provide other paid Holidays, as described in Rule 5-200B (UUHC Staff), and Rule 5-300A (all other University Employees).
- Note: Parts IV-VII of this Regulation (and all other University Regulations) are Regulations Resource Information - the contents of which are not approved by the Academic Senate or Board of Trustees, and are to be updated from time to time as determined appropriate by the cognizant Policy Officer and the Institutional Policy Committee, as per Policy 1-001 and Rule 1-001.
- Rules, Procedures, Guidelines, Forms and other related resources
- Policy 5-001: Employment Definitions
- Policy Owners (primary contact person for questions and advice): the University of Utah Hospitals and Clinics' Director of Employee Relations is responsible for the application of this Policy to University of Utah Hospitals and Clinics Employees, and the University's Director of Benefits is responsible for the application of this Policy to all other University Employees (non-UUHC).
- Policy Officers: the University's Chief Human Resources Officer (non-UUHC Employees) and the Senior Vice President for Health Sciences.
- These officials are designated by the University President or delegee, with assistance of the Institutional Policy Committee, to have the following roles and authority, as provided in University Rule 1-001:
"A "Policy Officer" will be assigned by the President for each University Policy, and will typically be someone at the executive level of the University (i.e., the President and his/her Cabinet Officers). The assigned Policy Officer is authorized to allow exceptions to the Policy in appropriate cases.... "
"The Policy Officer will identify an "Owner" for each Policy. The Policy Owner is an expert on the Policy topic who may respond to questions about, and provide interpretation of the Policy; and will typically be someone reporting to an executive level position (as defined above), but may be any other person to whom the President or a Vice President has delegated such authority for a specified area of University operations. The Owner has primary responsibility for maintaining the relevant portions of the Regulations Library... .[and] bears the responsibility for determining which reference materials are helpful in understanding the meaning and requirements of particular Policies... ." University Rule 1-001-III-B & E
- Renumbering: Renumbered as Policy 5-300 effective 9/15/2008, formerly known as PPM 2-40.
- Revision History:
- Current version: Revision9. Effective date 10/14/2014
- Approved by Academic Senate: September 8, 2014
- Approved by Board of Trustees: October 14, 2014
- Legislative History- Revision 9
- Earlier versions:
- Revision 8: Effective dates September 5, 1997 to October 13, 2014
- Editorially revised: October 11, 2011.Editorial changes were made to this document to reflect the changes in employee definitions as set forth in Policy 5-100.
Approved: Executive Committee of Academic Senate 8/14/97
Board of Trustees 9/5/97